[GRLUG] To Raid, or not to Raid, that is the question.

Mike Williams knightperson at zuzax.com
Wed Mar 9 20:23:04 EST 2011

On 03/09/2011 08:05 PM, Don Wood wrote:
> If it's not for data redundancy then what is RAID for? If a backup is made
> why bother with RAID at all? I'd rather have a RAID 1 than a backup.
> Although my preference would be RAID 1 with a backup. But really, RAID is a
> form of redundancy so why not use it as such? Isn't a backup a form of
> redundancy?
They are both forms of data redundancy but with different priorities. As
Adam Williams (no relation) said, RAID is for uptime rather than data
security. In the simple case of a hard drive failure, RAID lets you keep
going without interruption, where backup takes the system down until you
restore the backup. However, RAID is of no help at all for accidental
deletion of files or file system corruption. Generally, the best
solution is to have both.

And I agree on Linux's software RAID. The $35 RAID card you're thinking
of is almost certainly doing RAID in software anyway and is little more
than a regular hard drive controller, a BIOS, and a fancy driver. LVM on
top of RAID is an excellent way to go if you have the expertise to get
it all running. It was fairly miserable to do by hand last time I tried
it, but that was years ago and I think the situation is much better now.