[GRLUG] To Raid, or not to Raid, that is the question.

Joseph VanDerStelt joseph.vanderstelt at gmail.com
Wed Mar 9 19:05:39 EST 2011

So, here is the situation. I am about to send a server down to a data
center in Indiana. I just purchased two WD 1GB hard drives to place in
it for extra storage. I also bought a $25 raid controller, just in case.
Should I even bother with the raid? I was going to go raid 1, so as not
to risk losing my data and other peoples data. However, I have to ask...
Would simply creating a cron job to backup key directories/files every 2
hours or so get the job done just as well?

Just looking for a little input and maybe spark some debate.

So far, I am leaning towards raid 1.