[GRLUG] Thunderbird on Win7

Kyle dontwantspam1 at earthlink.net
Sun Mar 6 12:17:04 EST 2011

On 3/6/2011 11:05 AM, Eric Beversluis wrote:
> Does anyone understand Thunderbird? I'm confused and don't find any
> clear answers at their site. Nor does the Mozilla community forum seem
> useful--there seem to be lots of good questions but few answers.
>
> My problem is with using TLS on Thunderbird on Win7. (It's working fine
> on my Linux box with Evolution.)
>
> I've deleted my old accounts and tried to set up new from scratch, after
> trying to convert the existing accounts to SSL/TLS didn't work.
>
> Omnis.com says to use port 587 and mail.omnis.com for SMTP. I've got my
> password saved properly in the Thunderbird password vault. I've tried
> both the "Encrypted password" setting in "Authentication Methods" and
> the "Normal Password" setting. Neither works. I keep getting a
> "connection to server timed out" error message.
>
> Anyone know how I should get this to work?

A lot of those types of setting combinations depend on what your mail
server supports.  For example, at the server level certain
authentication methods can be enabled/disabled, SSL/TLS can be
enabled/disabled, and you can run mail servers on arbitrary ports.  If
it were me, I'd probably contact Omnis and ask how they have things set
up so you can match them.

- Kyle