[GRLUG] Host numbering on an IPv4 network

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Thu Mar 3 18:22:59 EST 2011

Let's say I have a network of 192.168.0.0/16

I'm very accustomed to seeing the first machine on a network being
numbered with the *second* address on the network. I've been told that
it's customary for the first IP address on the network to be reserved
to identify the network, and that all hosts should have subsequent
IPs.

So the first machine (and router) on my 192.168.0.1, because
192.168.0.0 is reserved for identifying my network. Is that correct
and good form? Is it poor form to use 192.168.0.0 as the IP of the
router?

I ask because my actual scenario is closer to 192.168.77.128/28. A /28
netmask leaves me with 16 valid IPs for that subnet.

(I'm working within a /24, and I divided it into /28s which I can
segregate by role. This /28 is for wifi. I've got another for the
wired LAN, I'll probably have another in the future for VMS which need
to have their own segregation considerations, and I might use another
in the future for a specific small VPN case. I don't want to migrate
elsewhere under 192.168.0.0/16, or over to 10.0.0.0/8, or over to
172.16/12, for reasons I don't want to discuss. :) )