[GRLUG] 322 Linux distributions

Don Ellis don.ellis at gmail.com
Thu Jun 30 14:05:34 EDT 2011

On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 11:59 AM, Adam Tauno Williams
<awilliam at whitemice.org> wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-06-30 at 12:32 -0400, Bob Kline wrote:
>> I smell a Guiness entry here.....
>
> Not even close.  I've seen demonstrations of hosts running well in
> excess of 10,000 VMs.

Back around 2000 (or a little earlier) I saw an article by an IBMer
who was testing mainframe Linux, and started up 40,000 Linux instances
during his lunch hour. Much larger numbers have been reported since.

Of course, that was on what used to be called a "mainframe", and they
were all the same distro. Other records could be for most number of
distros on a host and for different class of host.

--Don Ellis