[GRLUG] Any History Buffs around?

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Tue Jun 28 15:04:39 EDT 2011

On Tue, Jun 28, 2011 at 2:26 PM, L. V. Lammert <lvl at omnitec.net> wrote:
> Have a dead machine from 2003, .. and it looks like the most important piece
> of information that we need from it is what distro was installed! The C++
> application on it is having MAJOR problems compiling with a current kernel &
> libries, so we might try to recreate that environment just to start from a
> running system.
>
> All I have gotten off it [and even that is now unavailable] is LILO, I
> *believe* I saw 2.6.24, .. but what distro would have been used in 2003? I
> seem to recall installing Debian, but that was a LOOOONNNGGG time ago <g>!
>
> Has anyone ever tried to migrate a C++ application from that era to present
> day?

As far as Linux distros from 2003...I was using Debian around then.
Either potato or woody. I don't remember which. I think "Fedora" was
still called "Red Hat", before Red Hat split to their community-driven
Fedora and their business-driven Red Hat Enterprise Linux. You'd be
looking at something in the vicinity of Red Had 6-9.

Ubuntu hadn't entered the stage yet. I think Slackware was still
someone popular. I don't know which version of Slack was live around
then. Wikipedia should have the details for which versions were
current at that time for each of those distributions.

I do work for a company that does custom software work, and C++ is one
of our core experience languages, if you'd like some assistance
porting. We haven't targeted C++ on Linux due to other limitations
involved with current projects, although nearly everyone here uses
Linux at work and at home in various capacities. A lot of it will
depend on the nature of the program and what it does, but I get the
sense that that's not on-list material. Send me an email off-list if
you'd like a consult on the feasibility of porting; I'll reply with my
at-work email address.