[GRLUG] ebook identification

Nick Reid nick at toomanycomputers.com
Fri Jun 24 21:48:39 EDT 2011

On 06/24/2011 10:11 AM, John-Thomas Richards wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 24, 2011 at 09:33:09AM -0400, Benjamin Flanders wrote:
>>> Wait.  ebooks aren't compressed?  Isn't plain text about the most
>>> compressible thing around, and lossless at that?  This surprises me.
>> I guess I should have not used the word "compressed".  I was going for
>> the term lossless and had a brain bump.  Sorry.
> Whew.  I thought the world had gone mad.
>
>> Anyway, I would have thought the application would have been out there
>> already .
> Do ebooks have internal flags like .ogg & .mp3?
Actually epubs are zip files.. i got a non-drm'd epub that linux showed
up as associated with archive viewer.
renamed it to *.zip and try zip against it.. seems to work.

as for internal flags.. epubs have xml files that dictate files and such
along with html like formatting from what i have see per that above
mentioned epub.

---just my .02