[GRLUG] ebook identification

Benjamin Flanders flanderb at gmail.com
Fri Jun 24 10:40:38 EDT 2011

On Fri, Jun 24, 2011 at 10:03 AM, David Pembrook <david at pembrook.net> wrote:
> Checkout calibre. Its cross platform and looks interesting. I've just tried
> it and it did a nice job cataloging my collection. It even grabs amazon
> descriptions and book covers. I have not delved into all its features. It
> has a server component but I've only tried it as a desktop application.  See
> http://calibre-ebook.com/.
>
> Quoting their about page:
>
> calibre is a free and open source e-book library management application
> developed by users of e-books for users of e-books. It has a cornucopia of
> features divided into the following main categories:
>
> Library Management
> E-book conversion
> Syncing to e-book reader devices
> Downloading news from the web and converting it into e-book form
> Comprehensive e-book viewer
> Content server for online access to your book collection
>
> Dave

I'm actually setting up a Calibre Server and this is what caused my
inquiry.    Calbre has the ability to download the book information if
you already have some sort of meta-data on the book, author and/or
title, but it is really finicky as would be the case for most easily
implemented text comparisons.  It does have the ability, on import,
to grab some metadata from file types that have metadata, like PDFs,
or from the file name, for those that don't have metadata. but this is
finicky and I have to mess with the Regex if the file name is in a
different order than the previous book I imported.

Share and Enjoy
Ben