[GRLUG] ISP shopping

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Wed Jun 22 13:44:12 EDT 2011

I'm shopping for an ISP for home. Not going to touch Comcast or
U-verse for this. U-verse because I don't like their router, and
Comcast because the local loop's bandwidth will be shared with too
many other local customers.

* Channel bonded ADSL. Probably just two channels. I'd be looking for
5-6Mb down per channel. I currently get about 5Mb down with the single
channel I've got.
* IPv6 connectivity (either via allocated subnet, or via RAs from upstream)
* IPv4 connectivity (non-static IP is fine)
* Low jitter (I intend to run VOIP; I've got my own Asterisk servers
and trunking providers already)
* Self-maintained router on my end; tell me the protocols and
connection details to use, and I'll keep my end running.

Anyone have good leads for this kind of thing? If it works nicely
enough, I might be able to successfully pitch it to work, where we've
got no coax, but enough copper to suggest there used to be a Centrex
setup there.