[GRLUG] strange audio levels problem

John-Thomas Richards jtr at jrichards.org
Tue Jun 21 06:27:27 EDT 2011

I'm running LMDE (Linux Mint with Debian Wheezy).  I'm getting strange
behavior from my sound settings.  I save them via `alsactl store' at the
following levels:

Master          Speaker         PCM
80              100             100

If I restart they will be changed to random levels.  For example, I just
rebooted and the settings are:

0 (muted) | 2 (muted) | 99

Sometimes they will be:

40 (muted) | 0 (muted) | 100

I store the levels as root.  This box is also running PulseAudio.  The
PulseAudio level is also often muted and at a low level (20 or 25 or
40).  Any ideas?  Sound just seems to be far too complicated these days.
This almost (almost!) makes me wish for the OSS days.
--
john-thomas
------