[GRLUG] Network Closet move

Richard Nienhuis richardnienhuis at gmail.com
Wed Jun 15 12:01:42 EDT 2011

I like using a crappy label maker, just makes things look neat.  Plus
I know someone else will be able to read the writing.

For figuring out what goes where, I'm going to assume you have some
form of managed switch.  You could grab a list of all the mac
addresses of your machines and then look on the switch for that mac
address on a particular port.  Then use the tone tester for whatever
is left.  If its unmanaged then you are stuck using a tone tester.  I
would get someone to help you with one end of that so you are not
running back and forth all day.

Keep things fairly straight forward and well documented in case
someone other than you needs to work on it.

Oh, and use Velcro ties in the closet.  Always hate it when I have to
cut 5000 ordinary wire ties spaced 6 inches apart off to move stuff.
Maybe do able lacing if you have stuff you want to bundle but are
never going to move.