[GRLUG] Poll: OSI Model/Protocol

Eric Beversluis ebever at researchintegration.org
Sun Jun 5 19:57:33 EDT 2011

I'd like to conduct a poll.

Having exerted some (not very significant) level of effort, a number of
years ago, acquainting myself with the OSI model/standard, I'm curious
if I'm the only one who sees imposing this learning task on computer
students as pointless.

Item: in about 8 years since studying all that, I have seen maybe one or
two references to the model and, as nearly as I can recall, none of the
work I've done in this time has needed to utilize knowledge of the
model.

Item: the de facto standard for networking, TCP/IP, uses a significantly
different model; nor have I seen any need to understand the TCP/IP
layers in my work.

I would guess designers and builders of hardware and certain programs
would use knowledge of the TCP/IP layer protocols. But other than these
users, who out there has had the need to be acquainted with the OSI
model?