[GRLUG] Linux Compatible Voice Modem

Thad Ward coderjoe69 at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 31 01:58:25 EDT 2011

I needed to get a PCI modem with fax capabilities when upgrading the machine that
answers the fax line. The first one I got I was promised had linux support. It
did, but it was a pain to get set up and stable, and would occasionally stop
working. I did find another PCI modem that works rather well for my fax needs,
but I don't know about voice (and seems to have difficulty with answering data
calls when in fax mode).

lspci reports this for the modem I am currently using:

03:0a.0 Modem: Agere Systems Venus Modem (V90, 56KFlex) (prog-if 03 [Hayes/16650])

hmm... looking up the chipset shows voice capabilities.