[GRLUG] Linux Compatible Voice Modem

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Fri Jul 29 07:24:13 EDT 2011

On Thu, 2011-07-28 at 18:37 -0400, Michael Mol wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 28, 2011 at 6:30 PM, Team Xlink
> <teamxlinksolitudedev at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I'm looking a Linux compatible voice modem. I plan to use it for a dial-in
> > server in Linux.
> > The problem is most PCI modems are limited to windows only.
> > Does anyone know of a particular modem with Linux drivers?
> > Thank you.
> Most "winmodems" have drivers available for Linux. I think they're
> even standardized, I just can't remember the name of the standard.
> Winmodems are just modems that do all the complicated signal
> processing in software. There exist daemons on Linux which will handle
> this.

+1   I had little trouble getting a Lucent 'winmodem' built into a
laptop to work.  One of the supported features was 'voice support' and
there were reports of it working with vgetty.

But that was a long time ago.  Most winmodems were in just a couple of
families then.  I have no idea what the current situation is.

>If you want something that's not a winmodem, then what you're looking
> for is a serial modem; I wouldn't trust an old 'hardware' modem PCI
> device.

Yep.  All PCI modems are pretty much just DSPs [aka winmodems].  Another
option is PCMCIA modems; in my experience most of those are traditional
UART-style modems.