[GRLUG] Plenum Cable

Mike Williams knightperson at zuzax.com
Thu Jul 28 16:26:23 EDT 2011

On 07/28/2011 03:58 PM, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:

> Position of the cable matters to the fire inspector as well; cable
> cannot 'lay' on the suspended ceiling.  It has to be secured up and away
> from the tile&  grid.  I've inherited a couple of sites who have been
> cited for this.
Is that just for plenum spaces or all dropped ceilings? Very few places
where I have seen wire run through dropped ceilings have actually
secured it, although I admit I haven't dealt with a huge number of
locations. Other than keeping the network wire from contacting
electrical cables or lights, I don't see it being much of a fire hazard.
It would look nicer if it was all tied to something up there, but the
point of a dropped ceiling in the first place is so you don't see the
wiring!