[GRLUG] Plenum Cable

Benjamin Flanders flanderb at gmail.com
Thu Jul 28 15:11:25 EDT 2011

We are moving a closet shortly and I will need to string some more
cable.  With that in mind I was going to buy some cable and came up
with a term that is new to me, "Plenum".  It turns out that the
airspace above a drop ceiling could be a plenum, and if such, the
cabling that resides up there is much more expensive.

Wikipedia provided an explanation of what a plenum is, but my question
is is there a test to know if the airspace up there is a plenum?  I
believe that it is a somewhat sealed airspace, but the drop ceiling is
old and not really sealed.  Should I just call the fire inspector and
ask him?  Anyone else have this situation?  We do have non-plenum
cable up there right now, but my concern is that my predecessor didn't
know about the law either and we might have to recable the whole
office.

Also, on a related note should I look at getting cat6 vs cat5e?

Share and Enjoy
Ben