[GRLUG] GRWebDev and Databases

Ben Rousch brousch at gmail.com
Thu Jul 21 10:48:28 EDT 2011

I know many of you don't care about web development, but I thought you
all might be interested in the next meeting of the Grand Rapids Web
Development Group, which will be about databases. Adam Williams,
everyone's favorite curmudgeon, will be presenting on relational
databases while others will be touching on fancy newfangled ways of
losing your data.

If you'd like to attend, please RSVP on the Meetup site.
http://www.meetup.com/grwebdev/events/16529282/

---

Databases:" it's better than putting your data in a text file”

We've got an action-packed lineup again!  Whether you use MySQL
because everyone else is doing it, call yourself a DBA, or think your
hip because you smoking NoSQL, we've got something for you:

Jason Swett: the relational model
Data normalization, foreign keys, what?

Adam Tauno Williams: overview/comparison of popular relational dbs
Learn the differences between MySQL, PostgreSQL, SQLite, DB2, Oracle,
and more.  Is it one-size fits all or should you really pick the right
tool for the job?

Carl Furrow: MongoDB
MongoDB is one of the most popular NoSQL, document-oriented databases.
 What's all the fuss?

Dennis Walters: Riak
So hip, I haven't even heard of it.

---