[GRLUG] save hidden files in windows

John-Thomas Richards jtr at jrichards.org
Fri Jul 15 15:05:16 EDT 2011

On Fri, Jul 15, 2011 at 02:46:52PM -0400, David Pembrook wrote:
[snip]
> >>try on a command line:
> >>
> >>echo "whatever" > .htaccess
> >>
> >>then edit the file and paste in the contents of the other file.
> >

> >You can also create it on a Linux box (or a mac) and copy it to windows.
> >
> >topher
> >
> An FTP client would let you rename it.  Just browse the local drive
> and rename it. Then you can stay in the gui and follow their
> instructions. I just tried it with filezilla, sure enough that
> works.

Those ideas make it sound like Rube Goldberg was an engineer for
Microsoft.  Use an external machine over a network to rename a local
file.  Perhaps from the Windows machine in question one could ssh into
the Linux box and ftp back to the Windows machine to rename the file.

Heh.
--
john-thomas
------