[GRLUG] save hidden files in windows

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Fri Jul 15 14:31:59 EDT 2011

On Fri, Jul 15, 2011 at 2:28 PM, Steve Romanow <slestak989 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 15, 2011 at 2:22 PM, Eric Beversluis
> <ebever at researchintegration.org> wrote:
>> I'm working with an app (simple groupware) that wants me to move a
>> "webdav.htaccess" file and rename it ".htaccess".
>>
>> However, Windows won't let me do that. It keeps telling me, "You must
>> type a file name." (It must think '.htaccess' is an extension.)
>>
>> I tried googling "Windows save hidden file name" and "Windows name a
>> hidden file" but only found references to explosing or hiding hidden
>> files.
>>
>> What's the secret?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>

>> --
>> believed to be clean.

> iirc, the dot for hidden doesnt apply to windows does it?

It doesn't hide the file from casual browsing, no. The app is
complaining that the file it's looking for doesn't exist, and the app
is looking for a file named ".htaccess". Even on Linux, if you have a
hidden file, the filename actually *begins* with a "."; it's not some
special markup. The runtimes see filenames that begin with . and omit
them from file listings unless you specify otherwise. (Such as "ls
-a")