[GRLUG] Testing Comcast vs AT&T

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Mon Jul 11 10:35:00 EDT 2011

On Mon, Jul 11, 2011 at 9:39 AM, Bob Kline <bob.kline at gmail.com> wrote:
> OK, meaningless in a general context - are
> we getting closer?
> Re "that's just nuts," why not let
> each person speak for themself?

> Or are we in to casting aspersions now?

I had no intent of casting aspersions on individuals. That statement
was specifically in response to a sentiment that I should be incensed
about not getting a better deal than the steal I'm already getting. So
they've got better network connections in Houston...they'll eventually
sell those rates here; no residential services team is going to sit on
their hands while ISPs are in the middle of the bandwidth equivalent
of the old CPU "GHz race."

> I'd say there's a certain arrogance in
> assuming one is the last word on an
> issue - my take is that this forum is
> for discussions, not for those with too
> much testosterone to declare themselves
> the ultimate authority on an issue.

Nobody's tried to declare themselves the ultimate authority on any
issue. A few people have *tried* to explain, using various approaches
and points of attention, how one must be aware of the limitations of
particular kinds of tests. Limitations in terms of scope of meaning,
based in application and traffic destination. Your arguments
consistently begin with an implication of general applicability of
your statements, but when pressed, it comes down to a testing of
particular application across a small breadth of potential network
paths.

> Issues get bounced around, and most
> often eventually the level of detail the
> person asking a question requires is
> forthcoming.  A back and forth process.

Sure, but there needs to be an improvement of general knowledge
(particularly in the area of limitations of meaning) before the early
stages have meaning. It's definitely a learning process; I know more
about this stuff now than I knew six months ago, to be sure. I'm still
not up to whitemice's current level, and I doubt I will be within the
next 2-3 years without having to do networks as a full-time job.

> Someone named Greg got so agitated
> a while back that he claimed we are
> all idiots for not accepting his point of
> view on many things, and stomped off
> in a huff.  Is that the kind of group some
> people want?

Certainly not.