[GRLUG] Testing Comcast vs AT&T

Bob Kline bob.kline at gmail.com
Mon Jul 11 09:39:22 EDT 2011

OK, meaningless in a general context - are
we getting closer?

Re "that's just nuts," why not let
each person speak for themself?
Or are we in to casting aspersions now?
I'd say there's a certain arrogance in
assuming one is the last word on an
issue - my take is that this forum is
for discussions, not for those with too
much testosterone to declare themselves
the ultimate authority on an issue.
Issues get bounced around, and most
often eventually the level of detail the
person asking a question requires is
forthcoming.  A back and forth process.
Someone named Greg got so agitated
a while back that he claimed we are
all idiots for not accepting his point of
view on many things, and stomped off
in a huff.  Is that the kind of group some
people want?

Anyway, a useful notion of bandwidth
for me is how quickly a file arrives,
irrespective of the details. I don't care
whether it's in 100 Mbps bursts, followed
by 0 Mbps periods, or a uniform bit rate.
Comcast can offer more predictable
rates, and does in some regions with it's
business services.  i.e., one gets
preferential treatment.  But for now we
MI folks can't get the services AFAIK.

Re T3 line, I see things like $3K to $4K
a month.  Like T1 lines, they were vastly
more than that not so long ago.  Demand
is likely going away, as fewer can justify
the cost.  A 50 Mbps service from Comcast
costs $100 per month in the Houston area.

Just a few more things to fret about I guess.

   -- Bob