[GRLUG] AT&T Uverse TV + 6to4 = ?

Mike Williams knightperson at zuzax.com
Sat Jul 9 22:17:25 EDT 2011

After some fairly intensive research, I've determined that AT&T Uverse's
TV service is a smarter system than I thought. It uses IGMP version 3
multicasting so it can minimize the amount of data that has to be
transmitted down their backbone. Besides on-demand programming, each
segment of the network will be carrying, at most, a single copy of each
video stream.

I want to run an IPv6 tunnel through Hurricane Electric, handled by an
OpenWRT router, and still have my TV work. There are three pieces of
equipment that have to work here, not counting a miscellaneous switch or
two. AT&T provided a "residential gateway", which is a 2Wire 3800 that
decodes the external DSL signal, handles the IGMP multicasting, and
directs it to wherever the set-top box (piece #2) is. Piece #3 is the
OpenWRT router, which I recently upgraded to speak IPv6.

Here's the problem. I can't seem to get the OpenWRT to speak IGMP, so I
can't put the set-top box "inside" it or else the TV doesn't work.
Similarly, the 2Wire router can't be taught to route any protocols but
UDP or TCP (and 6to4 is none of the above) to specific IP's inside, so I
can't put the OpenWRT "inside" of it and direct tunnel traffic to its
IP. I can direct all traffic (DMZ Pinhole mode) to it, but that breaks
TV again.

Any suggestions? I might have to invest in a router that speaks IGMPv3
as well as 6to4 tunneling.