[GRLUG] Time Clocks and Software

Bill Littlejohn billl at mtd-inc.com
Wed Jan 26 00:06:48 EST 2011

> We have a series of intercoms in the shop that emit a buzz to let
> people know when it's time to start work, go to lunch, or go home. Our
> current time clock software sets a schedule for those buzzers and
> stores it on the time clock. The time clock then trips a relay (or
> something like that) at the appropriate time. The inexpensive clocks
> do not seem to have to capability to control such a buzzer system.

Not sure how averse you are to a bit of programming.. but you did mention
putting something together. Arduino's have a ton of code available already.
You would just have to adapt what's already there.

An arduino with a 'buzzer file' on an SD card, solid state relay, and DS1307
RTC would allow you to replace the timeclock relay without needing a
computer to plug a usb relay into.

Arduino
http://www.adafruit.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=17&products_id=325
Ethernet shield with micro SD
http://www.adafruit.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=17_21&products_id=201
DS1307 on breakout board
http://www.adafruit.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=42&products_id=264

That's about $84.00, plus you'll need a relay similar to the one in your
current timeclock.