[GRLUG] Time Clocks and Software

Ben Rousch brousch at gmail.com
Tue Jan 25 16:48:13 EST 2011

I got a quote from my vendor and it nearly gave me a heart attack. I'm
heavily leaning towards the stand-alone time clock I mentioned
earlier. The only problem I see is that it does not have a buzzer
control system.

We have a series of intercoms in the shop that emit a buzz to let
people know when it's time to start work, go to lunch, or go home. Our
current time clock software sets a schedule for those buzzers and
stores it on the time clock. The time clock then trips a relay (or
something like that) at the appropriate time. The inexpensive clocks
do not seem to have to capability to control such a buzzer system.

I'm not a low-level kind of guy, but it seems like it shouldn't be too
hard to put something together for cheap. Basically I'd need something
with an accurate onboard clock, that can store a list of times, have a
way to modify that schedule occasionally, and trip a relay for 1 or 2
seconds when those times come up. Alternatively I'd need something
that would trip the relay when it receives a signal from some other
computer, maybe via wifi or ethernet.

Any of you hardware hackers have advice for me?

--
  Ben Rousch
  brousch at gmail.com
  http://ishmilok.blogspot.com/