[GRLUG] DNS in the router

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Sun Jan 23 14:11:12 EST 2011

On Sun, Jan 23, 2011 at 6:58 PM, Bob Kline <bob.kline at gmail.com> wrote:
> https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=gmail&attid=0.1&thid=12dafb69d3c7cece&mt=application/msword&url=https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui%3D2%26ik%3D5ec49a3471%26view%3Datt%26th%3D12dafb69d3c7cece%26attid%3D0.1%26disp%3Dattd%26zw&sig=AHIEtbRva5GTACvKJEpMUuyg7XIW9ykNcQ
> The items in the piece above related
> to /etc/resolv.conf seem clear enough,
> but I never thought about the router.
> How do these two interact?  i.e., what
> gets resolved by the PC and what by the
> router?

I can't load the link. (It says my GMail account is offline, even
though I'm writing this email through their web interface. I think you
might have posted a session-specific link.)

However, if your individual computer is configured to poll Google's
DNS directly, then putting those DNS settings in your router box
should have no effect on your individual computer.

Still, if you put those settings into your router box, any _other_
computer that attaches to your network will wind up using Google DNS.

(This can happen one of two ways. Either the router uses DHCP to tell
the individual computers to use Google directly, or the router does
DNS query relay on behalf of the computers on the local network.)

> I'm using Google's DNS service now
> on my PC. I have no idea right now what
> putting those same numbers in to the
> router might accomplish - positively or
> negatively - as in, what might I wreck?
>     -- Bob

At worst, you might have to reset your router's DNS settings in order
for computers on your local network to resolve DNS queries.