[GRLUG] The Geek Group Has a New Lab

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Sun Jan 23 14:05:05 EST 2011

On Sun, Jan 23, 2011 at 3:42 PM, Adam Tauno Williams
<awilliam at whitemice.org> wrote:
> On Sun, 2011-01-23 at 15:33 +0000, Michael Mol wrote:
>> On Sat, Jan 22, 2011 at 3:43 PM, Michael Mol <mikemol at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > On Sat, Jan 22, 2011 at 12:39 PM, Ben Rousch <brousch at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I just got an email from Meetup saying that there were 179 people in
>> the Grand Rapids area, waiting for a group with the properties I'd
>> listed, and that if I finished setting up the group, Meetup would send
>> the invite.
>> That's a pretty large mass-mailing. You'd think those folks would have
>> gone to BarcampGR...
>
> Do they explain what their matching mechanism is?  Having diddled around
> looking at groups on Meetup, personally, I smell the now very familiar
> stink of social-networking total-BS.

I couldn't handle a meeting of 179 people. I couldn't manage one of
even 79 people. However, the runoff of even 10% of that number would
be a good visit.

>> I'll probably poke through that paywall, but not before the Saturday
>> Social can comfortably move over towards the Geek Group location.
>
> Care to make a wager that poking the paywall has a net-zero impact on
> attendance over a three month period?

I wouldn't wager either way. What's irritating is that I hear so much
advocacy for announcing via Meetup.com, but then there's a paywall for
even the most basic-level service. I don't like it, but it seems to be
to meetups what Facebook is to personal networking and what LinkedIn
is to professional networking.