[GRLUG] The Geek Group Has a New Lab

Bob Kline bob.kline at gmail.com
Sat Jan 22 10:58:54 EST 2011

I've only been to one Saturday social
at the current location.  But I'm not
keen on driving in to town if I don't
have to, so moving there would be
a consideration in my case.  Big deal
I guess.

I think any place you choose to meet
will produce winners and losers.  That's
as much as been said during this
discussion already, as at least one person
claimed the Grandville location doesn't
have bus service - it does - and presumably
has not been coming for that reason.

The center of GR might seem like the
most geographically centered location, but it
could also turn out that it is an equal opportunity
nuisance for many.  I don't know about the
place being talked about, but parking has
historically been a pain in GR, and winter
doesn't make that any better.

Another thing you could consider is
holding the socials in a different quadrant
of the city each week, and seeing what
happens.  I wouldn't envy you your task in
that case, but there might be no other
way to know.

Another possibility is for each area to
have it's own socials, but it's pretty clear
that none would have a very good turnout.
To date, most of the gatherings have been
along, or near,  28th Street, starting with
the ITT facility that Eric Hartwell made
available, to a Beaners and other coffee
haunts, and now Grandville.  It just seems
to work out that way.

Anyway, the bottom line is likely that
each choice of location will in fact attract
some, and lose others.  It's even more
likely that most will never show no matter
where you go.  It's just the way it is.  What
I've seen over the last 5 years is that a
group of 10 is a good turnout on average
for the Saturday meets.  Winter is a little
worse.

    -- Bob