[GRLUG] The Geek Group Has a New Lab

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Sat Jan 22 10:43:52 EST 2011

On Sat, Jan 22, 2011 at 12:39 PM, Ben Rousch <brousch at gmail.com> wrote:
> The Biggby/Subway in Grandville is obviously more convenient for some
> people than others, however there is absolutely nothing preventing a
> gathering at an alternate location or alternate time. As it is, GRLUG
> meetings/gatherings only happen if someone takes the initiative to do
> a minimal amount organizational work. The group itself is basically
> open source, so grab the SaturdaySocialMeeting repo and create a
> friendly fork.
>
> Contact the Geek Group for availability information, pick a date and
> time (or use Doodle [1] to find a good date/time), announce it on the
> list, and make it happen. A few suggestions are: Saturday or Sunday
> morning, or Sunday afternoon; until the Geek Group Cafe is open, bring
> some donuts/chips and ask for donations from attendees to cover them;
> have people bring a little project to work on or make sure there's a
> MM-like random conversation generator in attendance.

I'm a random-conversation generator(1)! Sweet! Does that mean I pass
the Turing test, or am I a simple chatbot?

I've been mulling over moving the Saturday Social gathering as it is;
I don't think there's currently anyone attending at least once a month
who is significantly less likely to show up to the Leonard location,
so that's not a major issue.

What I do see as potential issues:
* Parking (even when ULX was at that location, I didn't know where to park)
* Food (I wasn't aware they were going to open a cafe. That's good.)
* Other environmental things. Are they open already? From outside last
week, it looked like they were still doing construction.

I wonder...is their network finished being set-up? It'd be pretty
slick if we could have a hand in getting it put together flexibly and
competently(2). If anyone wants, I can show them how to install a
wired network. :)

(1) Actually, that's one of my two primary functions at the Saturday
Social; keep the silence filled, engage people who come by. The other
primary function is simply to be there.
(2) Well, I'm primarily experienced as a physical-layer guy. I'd bet
ATW has the mad skillz for layers 2-3, but I can competently get by on
layer 2 if there's no VLANs or 802.1x involved.