[GRLUG] virtualbox vs vmware

Ben Rousch brousch at gmail.com
Sat Jan 8 12:30:54 EST 2011

On Sat, Jan 8, 2011 at 12:14 PM, Dave Brondsema <dave at brondsema.net> wrote:
> I just switched from vmware to virtual box (osx host, windows guest).
> Virtual Box seems to be a lot faster and less of a hog.  Not based on
> any formal testing though

I like the licensing of Virtualbox, but my experience has been that
WinXP Virtualbox guests are less stable than on VMWare. I have a heck
of a time keeping a Windows XP VM alive across multiple VM pauses.
Also I am leery of anything open source now owned by Oracle. Who knows
where its going to be in a year.

> On 01/08/2011 10:02 AM, west mi wrote:
>> I am using virtualbox, but thinking about vmware-
>> I dont know anything about it, except fer what Google tells me, which is
>> a lot.
>> Too much, actually, and I can't make sense out of a lot of it.
>>
>> Any opinions?
>> I'm having trouble getting Magicjack to work in a virtual windows,
>> it works, but there is a severe lag, or freezing up,choppy sound.
>> I'm on a kubuntu 10.04 set up.
>> Thanks,
>> Darrin
>> abit mombo,2 gig of ram and amd 64 dual-core cpu
>>
>> --
>> dangerous content by *MailScanner* <http://www.mailscanner.info/>, and is
>> believed to be clean.

> Dave Brondsema : dave at brondsema.net