[GRLUG] GRLUG Saturday Social

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Sat Jan 1 21:19:29 EST 2011

The practical question that was asked, though, was whether or not it
makes any sense to purchase a DOCSIS 3.0 modem if one won't plan to
purchase services that require those bandwidths.

To that end, there's a question of the compatibility matrix between
loops and modems of DOCSIS 2 and 3. (I.e. will a DOCSIS 2.0 modem work
on a DOCSIS 3.0 loop? Are DOCSIS 3.0 modems guaranteed to be
backwards-compatible with DOCSIS 2.0 loops?)