[GRLUG] Business service

Philip J. Robar philip.robar at gmail.com
Fri Feb 25 16:37:49 EST 2011

On Feb 25, 2011, at 8:18 AM, Matthew Seeley wrote:

> I don't know if this has been mentioned before, but
>
> http://www.broadbandmap.gov
>
> is the federal governments understanding of broadband available.
>
> I've noticed it can be extremely inaccurate (my house address is
> right, my work address is totally wrong on this map), but it may be of
> some help.

It missed the boat here is central Michigan (St. Louis) also as it doesn't list Charter—the only provider of higher speeds* in the area.

While I applaud the intentions of this agency, if the data for the rest of the country is as inaccurate as it is for Michigan then this is just another government boondoggle. To make things worse they are only going to update the data every 6 months.

Phil

* DSL tops out around here at 7 Mbs, and the several wireless solutions are even slower.