[GRLUG] Storage Request

Steve Romanow slestak989 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 25 11:22:40 EST 2011

A couple of questions I have:

Is this lan only access or a wan involved?

Is the slow performance a single user on an unencumbered connection, or
are they having trouble with multiple users simultaneously accessing files.

I would be interested to see if the same file transfer using a different
protocol but same hardware and file selection would get different
results.  For example, have the win user use winscp or another ftp
client to pull the same files without using Windows Explorer.

I have found wan file share browsing remote smb shares to be much
snappier in win7 that I ever did with winxp.  I think win7 is doing some
caching or prefetching dir list info in the background.  The transfer is
the same speed, but I dont wait as long for very full directories to
appear and be usable in Win Explorer.