[GRLUG] local dns

Ben DeMott ben.demott at gmail.com
Wed Feb 23 09:59:36 EST 2011

Why not just add a line to your /etc/hosts file if it's a temporary testing
solution?
We have to do this ALL_THE_TIME for quick tests so virtual hosts on the web
servers are routed correctly.

resolv.conf tells your machine (WHICH) dns to use.

The dns server controls how it responds with "views" - if you have a local
dns server and you want it to respond to local network requests with local
ip's, and public requests with public ip's this is implemented with "views".