[GRLUG] Is ITT Tech a Good School?

Mike Williams knightperson at zuzax.com
Tue Feb 22 14:15:28 EST 2011

I did the college thing for a few years right out of highschool, but
wasn't ready for it at the time. After 10-15 years of muddling around
without a degree I went back, and I will graduate with a Bachelors in IT
(specialization in security) in about 2 months. I chose University of
Phoenix's online program for the flexible scheduling, because they've
been doing online longer than most other schools, and because their
program is aimed at teaching adults. My experience has been generally
positive, although marred by technical issues early on and a curriculum
dispute more recently.

In my opinion, higher education does not so much "teach" as "certify
that you learned." In a traditional liberal arts program teaching 20
year old students that might be less true, but the responsibility for
learning falls on the student not the university.

When choosing a school that you will be giving a pile of money to, ask
some very good questions about accreditation. There are national and
regional accreditations, and if a school doesn't have both then look
elsewhere. U of P has both and is still looked down on by many
organizations, and a degree from a school that doesn't have its
accreditation is basically useless. Years ago, ITT was in that
"unaccredited and useless" category, but I don't know if that has
changed. To those who say bad things about U of P, I admit that they
practice open admission (basically, they'll take anybody as a student)
but they don't give out good grades just for showing up.