[GRLUG] Is ITT Tech a Good School?

Topher topher at codeventure.net
Tue Feb 22 10:40:44 EST 2011

On Tue, 22 Feb 2011, Ben DeMott wrote:

> In the words of one of our programmers that went to ITT
>
> "I went to school, spent 42,000 dollars, and learned almost nothing.  Now
> I'm out of school, and get paid to learn actual skills"

I quit reading this thread a while ago because I used to work in higher
ed, and I got tired of talking about it a long time ago.  But I decided I
have something to say.  It has nothing to do with any specific school, so
I'm not really answering the original question at all, just rambling.

In my opinion college should be reserved for learning things you can't
learn elsewhere.  You want to be a doctor?  Go to college.  Lawyer?  Go.

Otherwise, learn it elsewhere.  Personally I don't learn well alone, from
books etc.  I learn MUCH better from people.  I still recommend getting it
elsewhere.

If you can code a little, get an internship at a coding shop, and have
them show you the ropes.

If you're decent with networking but want to be awesome, find a networking
guy or shop and find out what it would take for them to teach you.  Maybe
you pay them, maybe you work for free, maybe they like brownies.

Tech groups have really exploded in Grand Rapids recently.  GRLUG is a
good resource, and is becoming an even better one.  GRWebDev started at a
sprint, we'll see if it stays big.  The drupal group, the wordpress group
(that I still need to start) etc.  Go to those, make friends, there are
very smart people that go.

In my opinion knowing smart people is a big key to success.

Topher