[GRLUG] Is ITT Tech a Good School?

Eric Beversluis ebever at researchintegration.org
Tue Feb 22 09:34:56 EST 2011

On Tue, 2011-02-22 at 09:19 -0700, Michael Passer wrote:
> I am admittedly biased having come from a public school background
> (and just beginning the M.S. in Information Assurance program at
> Davenport), but I feel students are better served by public (like
> GRCC) and private non-profit institutions (such as Davenport) than by
> for-profit proprietary institutions like ITT. Costs at publics and
> non-profits are typically lower and the lack of a profit motive makes
> it less likely that students are sold a bill of goods, as it were,
> about job prospects for a given curriculum.
I'd agree. As an economist, I've always thought there were good "market
failure type"reasons for education at all levels having been primarily
offered through the public or the not-for-profit sector.

> While new to the area, I have seen evidence of Linux in GRCC's course
> offerings--and public two year colleges are a less expensive place to
> get started on a baccalaureate degree. I'm not sure what community
> college(s) serve Kalamazoo, though.

As an IT neophyte 9 years ago, KVCC courses served me well to get
started. While definitely CIS rather than Computer Science, they gave me
a good start in a number of key areas. I don't know where they've gone
since then, but I think the key faculty are still there.