[GRLUG] download slowdown

Eric Beversluis ebever at researchintegration.org
Tue Feb 22 09:01:08 EST 2011

On Tue, 2011-02-22 at 13:41 +0000, Michael Mol wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 12:52 PM, Eric Beversluis
> <ebever at researchintegration.org> wrote:
> > Last night I was downloading a Win7 DVD image from MSDN. It took about 7
> > + hours for ca 2.3GB.
> >
> > Speakeasy.net download speed showed ca 1.94MBps or ca 264KBps. Yet the
> > download manager was grinding along at about 60KBps.
>
> Were these two separate Speakeasy measurements? That's some
> significant variance.
Probably was 1.94Mbps! That seems to calculate about right.

> Do you know what your network connection is billed as? Is it DSL,
> cable or satellite?
TimeWarner cable

> > I switched to an Ethernet cable from the wireless, thinking maybe the
> > wireless encrypting was slowing things down, but that still only gave me
> > about 100KBps.
> >
> > So I'm wondering where the slowdown was coming:
> > --Speakeasy's measure of download speed was wrong?
> > --the download manager somehow choked the process?
>
> Possible. What were you using for a download manager?
It was one that the webbrowser started-some Java download mgr, not the
Firefox download mgr, I think.

> > --the Belkin router somehow choked the process?
>
> Plausible; Belkin is Best Buy's off-brand. I have one of their
> routers, plugged it in for a few days, and then ripped the thing out
> because it had a high squeal somewhere north of 16 KHz that varied
> based on how many of its ports I had devices plugged in to.
>
> > --the M$ site was only sending data out at the slow speed?
>
> Not likely, especially if you were downloading from MSDN without
> trying anything weird. I've downloaded ISOs from them from Firefox on
> Linux before. Heck, I've downloaded ISOs from them using wget, with no
> problem.
>
> > --something else in the Internet was slowing down the data flow?
>
> These last couple days, DSL might show weird behaviors from the
> weather. Cable might show huge variances in throughput based on
> crowding from a lot of people being home for the snow storm and
> crowding the local loop with streaming video and video games.
My assumption was that anything like this would be reflected in the
Speakeasy readings as well.

> (OK, I've really got nothing against Windows, but I can't resist
> making the crack: Windows is so slow, even *downloading* it is slow.)

:-)
I must say tho that Win7 has been OK for me so far. (Good cop/bad cop?:
Put out crappy Millenium and people love XP; put out crappy Vista and
people love Win7. Great marketing or stupid marketing?)