[GRLUG] Is ITT Tech a Good School?

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Tue Feb 22 08:53:13 EST 2011

On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 1:43 PM, mooselikebriard <moosebriard at gmail.com> wrote:
> It appears that Davenport is about $11,500/year (in seat, 12 cr
> hr/semester.)  ITT does not advertise their tuition rates, but the best of
> what I can find is around $44,000 for two years, or twice as much per year
> Seems odd to avoid publishing tuition rates which is part of my apprehension
> surrounding ITT.  Thanks for the Davenport idea. They never occurred to me
> and they have a campus here in Kzoo where I live.
>
> I observe most institutions have one or two Unix/Linux classes in their BS
> programs.  Where can a person get schooled in those disciplines?  I am
> relatively new to the Linux world and am finding myself in some amount of
> awe at it's capability.  I use it frequently at my job to salvage Windows
> machines which to me says a lot (about Linux).  I have 20 years of teaching
> myself Windows......a speedier route to learn Linux would be great.

There are a lot of certification programs out there which compress
semester-long courses into one-week or three-day hands-on runs.

At this stage, if you're considering spending the coin to go back to
school for a couple years, consider spending that same coin on a round
of certs and workshops. In the computer field, cert programs are
almost certainly going to be more up-to-speed on the industry than
college courses. (I've got an acquaintance who's taking a class
involving Fedora who has been having difficulty because the version of
Fedora they're using came out after their textbook)

Also, the best way to learn to do anything right is to eat your own
dogfood the way the cat learned to swim*. Back up your Windows
install, wipe your system, install Linux and go to town learning how
to use it.

Finally, there are a lot of good general knowledge books available on
just about any subject you want to pick up.

Or take the slightly less insane route and wean yourself more slowly. :)

* Don't you just _love_ mixed metaphors?