[GRLUG] download slowdown

Eric Beversluis ebever at researchintegration.org
Tue Feb 22 07:52:56 EST 2011

Last night I was downloading a Win7 DVD image from MSDN. It took about 7
+ hours for ca 2.3GB.

Speakeasy.net download speed showed ca 1.94MBps or ca 264KBps. Yet the
download manager was grinding along at about 60KBps.

I switched to an Ethernet cable from the wireless, thinking maybe the
wireless encrypting was slowing things down, but that still only gave me
about 100KBps.

So I'm wondering where the slowdown was coming:
--Speakeasy's measure of download speed was wrong?
--the download manager somehow choked the process?
--the Belkin router somehow choked the process?
--the M$ site was only sending data out at the slow speed?
--something else in the Internet was slowing down the data flow?

Thanks.

Eric