[GRLUG] Co-location hosting in or near GR/Muskegon

Bob Kline bob.kline at gmail.com
Mon Feb 14 08:42:39 EST 2011

Aaaah, yup.  Any state with
a city that provides a 50Mbps full duplex
IS for $58 a month on a fiber system it
built itself is progressive in my book.
And yes, AT&T and Verizon sued to
stop the project - something about how
the city couldn't spend its tax money on
anything it wanted to.  a.k.a. a bad
precedent for the big players.  And yes,
that's fiber to the home.

Hey, those perennial also-ran's like AL,
LA, MS, and WV are getting auto plants
today.  Good ol' MI has - or had - the
highest unemployment rate for a long
while, the country's most rotten economy -
a.k.a. Jenny Granholm -  and some of the
highest labor rates and business taxes in
the US. Teacher pay is in the top 5 states
for a state that is economically at the bottom.
Jenny wanted to spend even more on
education so the little scholars could then
graduate and go to some state where
there are jobs, leaving MI taxpayers holding
the bag.  Good deal, no?

Need I go on?   Nah.  But for the crushing
heat and humidity in the summer, a town
like Lafayette might have possibilities.
Many in GR held on to a vein hope that
Google would provide 1Gbps fiber service
to GR.  Technically possible at a price of
interest - 1Gbps is not exotic any more -
but Google has sold out already.  GR
could build it itself,  but never even got a
city-wide wireless service going that is
worth anything.

Lessee.  Over the last 18 months a couple
of Comcast service techs said they'd heard
that Comcast was going to introduce some
really high speed IS tiers ever so soon.

Anyone seen them?

No, I don't work for the Lafayette Chamber
of Commerce.....  ;-)

   -- Bob