[GRLUG] Co-location hosting in or near GR/Muskegon

Bruce Smith blubdog at gmail.com
Sun Feb 13 19:56:34 EST 2011

>> I'm curious. Why insist on colocating your own hardware at that kind of
>> price when you can rent a virtual machine from a cloud provider like
>> Amazon's S3 much more cheaply? Is there some specialized hardware on the
>> machines that can't be virtualized, or maybe security fears?
>
> I can't speak for Bruce, but generally people co-locate for one of two
> reasons: 1. You actually control your own hardware instead of a
> virtual machine ultimately owned by someone else in a far-off land. 2.
> You can have much larger amounts of RAM and especially HD in your own
> server compared to what you can usually get from a VPS for the same
> price.

I can speak for Bruce.  :-)
The reason I was looking into it a couple years ago was because my
employer/client wanted to colocate.

Colocating is a lot more work that most cloud services, since you have
to maintain your own hardware and OS/software, but there can be
advantages as mentioned above.

The place in South Bend IN. I mentioned before can be found at
colostore.com.  Inside the place looks like a dump (at least it did
back then), but the prices are amazing, and has been dependable (at
least they were for quite a while, I'm no longer involved with that
project/client).

 - BS