[GRLUG] Debian Release Party

John Harig radiodurans at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 4 14:32:38 EST 2011

I installed Mint Debian Edition for my parent's computer.  It is basically Debian Squeeze + Mint repositories (for mint menus, fonts, colors . . .  to make it visually appealing by default).  They haven't had any problems with it.

It was really amazing how much faster their old computer was with Mint Debian Edition over a default Ubuntu install (both with Gnome).  You do need to do a little more initial configuring (I had to install separately a video driver in "unstable" for them for 3d to work), but tuxkart was sooo much faster over a default ubuntu install it was insane. My BSD Blowfish was setting all new personal high scores around all the tracks.

Anyway, Mint Debian is a good option when know what you want installed on the computer and you like mint themes.  The only other change I think I made was to make the menu look like a normal "gnome" menu, Im not really a fan of the 3 Mint menus.