[GRLUG] Debian on embedded system?

Mike Williams knightperson at zuzax.com
Fri Feb 4 13:24:02 EST 2011

I recently bought a consumer-grade NAS box, a Netgear Stora. After some
time with Netgear support it's running OK, but its Linux-based firmware
is not the greatest. There is apparently a way to run Debian on it
instead, but I'm wondering what I would gain by doing so. I think the
processor in the box is an ARM chip, and while Netgear made it easy to
get root access, I don't know my way around this particular flavor of
Linux well enough to do anything creative. Suggestions?