[GRLUG] Debian Release Party

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Fri Feb 4 12:25:10 EST 2011

On Fri, Feb 4, 2011 at 12:17 PM, Bob Kline <bob.kline at gmail.com> wrote:
> I wonder what percentage of this group
> runs Debian?

I'm running it on my router. I was running it on my desktop, but WINE
was in a sorry state. WoW worked, but with intermittent stability
issues. WineHQ's recommended repos for Debian squeeze/sid were
woefully out of date, and, as of a month or so ago, their IRC denizens
had no word on when/whether they would be brought up to a recent
release.

Apart from WINE, I had no complaints with Debian/squeeze. Though the
WINE issues led me to switch my desktop to Gentoo, which I'm happily
enjoying again...

> Is it deemed enough more reliable or
> bug free than Ubuntu releases to make
> it worth having such infrequent releases?

Debian seems to be kicking this habit. This is their second release in
two years, which is actually _more_ frequent than Ubuntu's LTS
releases.

> I mean, clearly that's the lore, but what
> seems to be the street reality?
>   -- Bob

Debian seems to have disciplined themselves to an every-two-year
release cycle. I don't know how long their security/support periods
will be, so I don't know whether a given Debian release will outlive
an Ubuntu LTS release for a given install-and-don't-tweak role.