[GRLUG] switch sessions remotely

Eric Beversluis ebever at researchintegration.org
Thu Feb 3 11:15:51 EST 2011

On Thu, 2011-02-03 at 11:06 -0500, Steve Romanow wrote:
> On 2/3/2011 10:59 AM, Eric Beversluis wrote:
> > On Thu, 2011-02-03 at 10:54 -0500, Eric Beversluis wrote:
> >> I'm working on my Linux box remotely from a Windows box since the screen
> >> is malfunctioning. Using NX (NoMachine). The Windows box shut down
> >> (battery low). When I restarted and tried to connect again, NX seems to
> >> create a new session.
> >>
> >> Is there any way I can return to the session that has all my documents
> >> open? Maybe somehow switch sessions once I'm connected back by NX?
> >>
> >> Thanks.
> >>
> >> EB
> > PS: That other session is still there. If I try to open Firefox, it
> > tells me it is already open. If I try to open a file in gedit, it tells
> > me the file is alreay open in another instance of gedit.
> >

> We use NoMachine in production here and use the resume feature a lot.
> The system logs well (server side and client side in %HOMEDIR%/.nx  you
> should see the comms between and may be a clue as to why it didnt show
> you the dialog to reconnect.  What versions are you using?

Thanks. I'm using the Windows client 3.4.0-10, which is fairly
up-to-date, since I just set it up a month or so ago.

I don't see a 'resume' option anywhere in the NX dialog. Maybe it's not
in the free version.

I saw a suggestion about using the 'switch user' option in Gnome, but
that's disabled on my machine in the NX session.

I forced a shutdown on the Linux box and started over. Firefox and OO.o
have restore options, but gedit doesn't. Hopefully I had my new work
saved.

So at this point the issue is theoretical. But if someone knows an
answer, it would still be useful to know, since various things could
cause the need to resume a session in the future.

(Btw: the (hopefully correct) inverter is on its way. I waited a month
for E-tech silicon valley and then they sent me the wrong one and
dragged about getting back to me about when they could send the right
one. So I have it coming now from NotebookLCDs.com.)

Thanks.