[GRLUG] VB & 12.1

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Sat Dec 31 12:54:43 EST 2011

On Thu, 2011-12-29 at 19:27 -0600, Don Ellis wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 29, 2011 at 6:19 PM, L. V. Lammert <lvl at omnitec.net> wrote:
> > Has anyone gotten SuSE 12.1 working in VirtualBox yet? Did a test install,
> > but only xfce will run.

I'm running openSUSE 12.1 x86_64 in VMware Workstation without issue.

> I think it worked for me. Didn't have xfce installed at first;
> installed it afterwards (after installing all the Guest Additions
> stuff). Now I have xfce as a choice but I can still run Gnome.
> I did get a message that Gnome 3 won't run in the installation (my AMD
> research machine), but an older Gnome seems to do just fine.

GNOME Shell requires accelerated OpenGL.  If your display providers
doesn't support that it should "fallback" to GNOME fallback [which looks
a lot like a spartan GNOME 2].  A recent version of Virtual box *should*
work with GNOME Shell assuming the underlying hardware is adequate.