[GRLUG] Email Archive 'extraction'

L. V. Lammert lvl at omnitec.net
Wed Dec 21 16:47:45 EST 2011

We took over a client a few years ago [i.e. not built here] that uses an
email archive system that copies all email to a separate user, then copies
that user to an archive file and tar.gz's it.

We need to extract all emails from/to a user that left. Doing an mbox ->
maildir would be simplest, but it would also require blowing out ALL email
from the past five years (since the archive started).

Has anyone ever tried to 'pull' emails from a mbox only if they contain a
specified email address?

	Lee