[GRLUG] Remove data from failing hard drive

Richard Nienhuis richardnienhuis at gmail.com
Wed Dec 21 12:22:28 EST 2011

You should wait for the lug to get there.  Some noises are ok for trying to
recover and some are not.  Grinding especially mean you are doing damage
each time you power up.  I usually use getdataback or ontrack easy recover
to get info from a minimally working disk.  If its grinding or won't copy
files out with those then it needs to go to a lab.  I should still have a
kroll ontrack reseller account.  Its usually 100$ to evaluate the drive and
around 1000-1500$ for simple problems that need to be repaired.