[GRLUG] MS Word attachments problem

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Thu Dec 15 08:33:42 EST 2011

On Thu, 2011-12-15 at 07:28 -0500, Eric Beversluis wrote:
> My wife sent some letters of recommendation as attachments. The
> recipient says they can't open them--but the letters open fine on my
> Linux box with LibreOffice and also on my Win 7 box with MS Word. She
> sent them from her MacBook that uses an old version of MS Word. They're
> letters that she received from the referees. Other attachments in the
> same email package she sent apparently opened OK.
> Presumably there's something in the docs that their security system
> doesn't like.

Why do you say that?  What message does the user get?  Or are the
attachments stripped from the message?

I've seen Office-Documents-From-Mac crash Office-On-Windows when the
user tries to open them more than a couple of times.  I don't know what
version of Office-On-Mac the sender was using;  but opening them in
LibreOffice, making some tiny change, and then saving them again has
reliably produced an 'openable' [is that a word?] file.