[GRLUG] Xen vs. RHEV

Roger Roelofs roger.roelofs at gmail.com
Mon Dec 12 00:06:49 EST 2011

Lee,

Sorry, I wasn't thinking.  I don't think our setup is going to tell
you much since most of our guests are running FreeBSD and we rely on
bsd file system features for most things that you want answers for.

Environment: Ubuntu server hosts, FreeBSD & WinXP guests  We are not
using a web interface to control them,  mostly virsh, a commend line
tool.

Snapshots: we aren't using this feature at the host level, so I can't
comment.  Our guests almost never change hosts.  For the rare cases we
just copy over the data / settings xml file and tweak as necessary.

File system:  I think the hosts are straight ext4.  The Freebsd guests
are running zfs.  All the guests back themselves up (rsync) to a
Freebsd guest on another box that acts as a backup server.  It runs
zfs so we get daily snapshots of the backups.

On Sun, Dec 11, 2011 at 10:21 PM, L. V. Lammert <lvl at omnitec.net> wrote:
> On Sun, 11 Dec 2011, Roger Roelofs wrote:
>
>> Lee,
>>
>> It appears to be.  I didn't know that until now.  I know it because It
>> is the tool promoted by ubuntu for their server product.  Seems to
>> work very well. (We're using it at work to virtualize WinXP and
>> FreeBSD guests.
>>
> Roger,
>
> Thanks for the input, but the parts missing are:
>
>> Environment & web interface
>> Snapshot capability
>> Snapshot management (i.e. pushing to another host)
>> File system? Is btrfs an advantage?
>
>        Lee

> believed to be clean.

Roger